Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Change of Seasons - Gone Red

dark brownish red
When a romantic relationship fails it is not uncommon for a woman to go do something drastic with her hair.  What fuels this action, I am not sure but it is a good guess that a change of look can send a message to oneself. The message I believe is either “fresh start”, “be free”, or “rebel from his expectations re: my hair.”   

Blondish
My sons and husband love long hair.  I personally know that 3 of my son’s former girlfriends cut their long locks to a bob cut after their break ups with him.   I have worn my hair short for quite a few years.  I have been married 28 years and my husband gave up on me going back to long hair of my youth.   However, in the past few years, I have grown out my hair to just below the shoulders and have been somewhat adventurous with my hair color.  I started this when I turned 50.  I went from warm brown to brown with gold highlights, then a dark red, then a deep purple – yes purple, then light brown with blonde highlights, and this summer very blonde highlights with a warm brown underneath.  In September of this year I went light brown with gold highlights. 

Looking back, I notice my color changes and calendar reflect changes in my emotions.  I have had some difficult family challenges for the past 2 years in of which I went from subtle hair color changes to more dramatic ones.   I assume if I didn’t get the changes I desired for our family; I could at least change myself not only within but in my “appearance”.  This is a revealing key to who I am. 

Light brown with highlights
I like to smile.  I smile often. I find joy in many things in life…nature, children, books, traditions, celebrations, and the list goes on.  However, in my household when life isn’t filled with emotions of happiness, it is hard to conjure up a smile.  My family and household environment is very precious and dear to my heart.  I want laughter, peace, and cohesion at its best.  This is not the way life pans out in this world.  We have normal family tensions and we have serious problems too.  When I step out of my nest and into the great sea of humanity, I want to smile and give the world an appearance of togetherness, a reliable smile, and an exchange of kindness.  I do this well until the stress and emotional strain is overwhelming.  Then I have to forge a smile and remember that the people out there in the sea don’t know what I am going through.  They don’t deserve my “woe is me” or “Biatch attitude”.  It’s not their fault my adult son tried my patience for a millionth time, and my husband fell short in “my” expectation.  What works for me in my mind apparently is a drastic hair color change.  “Look at my hair and its coolness or ridiculousness for a 50ish woman and never mind my eye baggage, unseasonable clothing, limp in my gait, and crepe-like wrinkled smile.”

Gone Red
Recently, my household has been rocked and shaken by the effects of some bad lifestyle choices.  My husband and I are of faith and believe in a powerful God who loves and wants our family healthy and equipped to do His service and calling on our lives.  In the meantime, my inner joy is present but my security and happiness is challenged and my smile once again is a struggle at times.  What did I do?  I went red…very red. 


I guess some habits don’t die easily.  If I can’t fix the smile, I will at least have good hair in the midst of a sea of beautiful people. 

You are Loved, acf



No comments: