Tuesday, March 18, 2014

True Confessions

Our food journey continues during this Lent season.  We have had some real breakthroughs in our efforts re: finding new ways to cook, flavor, and how to order in restaurants.  We have also had some decidedly "broken" fast foods.  We are again not purists but we want the most of the health benefits offered by a vegan/vegetarian diet.  We have not given up and we continue to make healthy choices and choose to eat meatless, and dairy-less foods.

Break-Fast #1: Thursday night is traditionally pizza night.  Last Thursday was no different.  Kevin
gets paid on Thursdays and for him, he wants nothing more than a cold drink and some hot pizza.  We could of ordered cheese-less or at least lightly cheesed pizza but no, we opted for mushroom and pineapple pizza with all the cheese.  It was indulgent and messed me up the next morning with terrible digestion issues. 

Break-Fast #2: 
This past Saturday we celebrated a dear family friend's 95th birthday.  They served a light lunch.  I had hoped to wake up early enough to fix a decent breakfast before attending the 11am party.  Not being organized nor energetic enough, we did not eat before the party.  Big mistake.  We were very hungry. 

Kevin did very well in not choosing any foods with meat and cheese.  He did partake in a broccoli
salad most likely made with real mayonnaise.  I chose fruits, veggies, and chips, but then my hunger and my weakness for pretty little finger sandwiches won out.  I had 1 triangle of egg salad sandwich, and 2 triangles of pimento cheese.  I had a tablespoon of dip with my chips.  Though I kept the items to a minimum, they were high in fat, and dairy. Later, Kevin and I both succumbed to the lure of Birthday Cake...yet with no regrets as we were celebrating happily with our gentleman friend. Because of the minimum partake of dairy, I didn't notice any real effects to my digestive system.  I didn't exactly feel up to par in energy and was a little sluggish however.

Break-Fast #3:
Yesterday was Brooke's birthday.  She chose Joe's Crab Shack as the destination for the family party.  It was a fun experience and everyone ate well.  However, Kevin broke his Lenten Fast by ordering a salad with crab, and tasting one of our son's broiled shrimp.  He enjoyed his meal with his family.  I don't see Kevin eating enough protein in his diet.  He needs to eat more legumes and brown rice.  I need to have these available to him however he is in the midst of a heavy schedule at work and quite honestly eats away from home.  He joins colleagues for meals as they strategize and basically have a working lunch.  I will have to do better in providing him late night meals with better protein choices and/or pack his lunch when he thinks he can eat at office.  I was successful in my ordering at the restaurant.  I ordered a steam pot of boiled new potatoes, an ear of corn, broccoli and indulged in crispy onion strings.  I had unsweet tea with lemon to drink.  I ate well and felt better than I did from the weekend's challenges.  Later that night, Kevin and I had Birthday cake again along with about 2 tablespoons of Rocky Road Ice Cream...a favorite flavor.  This morning I had digestive issues again and a headache.  I look forward to a more pure day of good, plant based eating.  I need to drink more water as well.

Now you have it, my true confessions.  No weight loss since last Thursday.  I think many of the items I did eat over the past few days have been high in salt as well as calories, and fat.  I am experienced enough to know that confessing and owning up to set backs does not change outcomes.  This is new for Kevin and I.  It is hard to change your mind about traditions, what to eat, how to prepare what to eat, when to eat, and try new foods.   But, as the quote says below:  ...it's going to be worth it.


Happy eating my friends and family.  You too are responsible for your temple...your body and it's best function.  What ever your diet is...I hope it makes you healthy, sustains you, provides enjoyment, and tastes delicious. 

PS: On a good note, I tossed out all contraband from our cupboards and refrigerator.  I only kept what my son would eat, who is not eating vegan with us.  I have more room in cupboards and my grocery bills are actually smaller.  Woo Hoo!

You are Loved, acf

No comments: