Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Fad or Freedom?


Last night before and after the Voice, we watched our doctor prescribed documentary "Forks over Knives."  Because I worked for our doctor for 4 years, I was very familiar with a plant based diet that he and his staff followed closely.  I have seen the benefits.  I learned the science.  I enjoyed the foods...except Tofu in any form.   

I did several weeks of a 90% plant based diet at one time.  I remember feeling well...mainly in my digestive system. I had a feeling of health in my gut.  I got relaxed in my commitment and returned to meats and dairy.   

I have 2 people whom I know personally that have changed their lifestyle to a more if not all plant based diet.  They both are friends on my Facebook and both have encouraged me to consider their new lifestyle of eating.  They too "had" health complications and challenges.  I still struggle with my health problems. 

Back to last night, Kevin and I were ready to oblige our doctor's request.  We checked out the movie from his office.  We were ready to consider some more plant based foods but not give up our meat and cheese 100%.  However, after viewing the film which concentrates on science and health benefits of a plant based diet and the results of men and women who defeated diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, the movie had us intrigued.  This isn't a religious film, nor a political expose.  
 
We are willing to try a new lifestyle of eating.  I believe Kevin will have to have some meat occasionally.  I am supportive of that if he is making the choice as part of a disciplined, mostly vegetarian-vegan diet. 

We are willing to turn our health around with new eating behaviors and choices.  Our health is compromised in so many ways with lack of consistent exercise and a too high of fat and dairy diet.  In saying this, I want to document our progress.  I will be posting pics of our meals, rating recipes, reporting downfalls and applauding our victories.  Eventually we will be posting our test results and maybe our before and after pictures.  We are committing to 6 weeks.  This should be interesting.  I may cuss…Lol! I love dairy things.  As for refined sugars, this will be hard too but there are some natural alternatives to add sweetness to our hot beverages, and hot cereals that we like to sweeten. 

I need to grocery shop before we begin.  I will announce our official start date even though we are beginning our mostly plant based diet this evening. 

I hope you will check in every once in a while to read of our journey to health. 

Most importantly I hope you consider viewing Forks over Knives yourselves.  I became more interested as I looked up Vegan and Vegetarian recipes.  I wanted to see if there were some I felt our family would eat.  I was excited to learn of how to cook and flavor plant based foods. 

Enjoy your food today…as you eat it consider what it provides for your health.  Suddenly, a piece of fresh fruit can be decadent and enjoyable if you know how it helps your body thrive and even combat disease.

 

 

 

No comments: