Thursday, January 23, 2014

Simple Me?


My New Year is 3 weeks old and I have yet to follow through on all I had intended to do to make this year a better “me” year.   My list is not daunting, nor overly ambitious.  It is do-able and rather common.   

v  Health goals

Ø  Lower Blood Pressure – less salt

Ø  Exercise 3 times a week minimum

Ø  Nutrition and portion control focus

v  Time management

Ø  Develop a simple daily routine

Ø  Bible and devotion time

Ø  Household tasks

v  Family and Friends

Ø  Write notes, cards and/or letters – a few each week

Ø  Call my mom 2 times a week (long calls)

Ø  Blog, Post and Pin for Encouragement and connection – set small amount of time daily if possible.

v  Personal  Joys

Ø  Read

Ø  Long baths

Ø  Time with Kevin 

While in Tuscaloosa, AL  this month,  I thought I would organize myself and get all my ducks in a row for a great start to accomplishing my goals.  I took “how to” books.  I took journals, calendars, and office supplies.  I took address books, stamps, envelopes etc.  I had my lap top, phone, and Kevin’s Nook.  I had the Bible and several “spiritual” books.  I was overwhelmed with resources and tasks to be done that I crashed and ignored my original purpose.  I didn’t keep it “simple”.   

Also, while in Tuscaloosa, Kevin bought me a book.  100 Ways to Simplify  Your Life, by Joyce Meyer.  Now I want to address 2 things right off the back… 

v  Many of my friends have a problem with Joyce Meyer and her ministry.  I don’t and that is all I will say about that other than that I am not so immature in my faith that I don’t know how to discern and go to the scriptures for reference.

v  The title of this book could make one think that the book is about only enjoying my life and not giving God His position and purpose for my life.  Wrong!  But you are entitled to your opinion. 

Now back to the book.  I want to share some of my highlighted material in part from the book.  It is my hope that you will share in my  “joy” of learning some new ways to see my goals and daily life tasks in a new way…peaceful, fulfilling and simple.

Do One Thing at a Time 

Scripture Reference:  Hebrews 12:2 (I chose to add verse 1 as well)

She writes the verse out as: Looking away [from all that would distract] to Jesus, Who is the Leader and the Source of our faith [giving the first incentive for our belief] and is also its Finisher [bringing it to maturity and perfection]. 

(I must say my biggest obstacle to a simple life for me is my distractions and spending too much time on them and then suddenly I have so much to do in so little time.  My time with Jesus in study and prayer and/or doing His will for the day gets hurried and complicated-acf)

She shares a quote by Eric Hoffer which ended with this sentence:

When we do NOT (caps mine) do the one thing we ought to do, we have no time for anything else – we are the busiest people in the world.

(My highlights)

v  By putting our hands to one thing and our mind to another, we divide the muscle behind our abilities and we make the task much more difficult.

v  …by directing all our faculties to the one thing we are doing on a particular day, at that hour, at that moment, we find it much easier to do.

v  The ability to concentrate and stay focused can only come from discipline. (don’t you hate that word-discipline? Acf)

v  (In reference to scripture Philippians 4:6) Anxious people are always trying to live ahead…They spend today trying to figure out tomorrow…God expects us to trust Him with tomorrow.

v  Practice living one day at a time; give yourself- your thoughts, your conversation, your energies, every part of you-to the day at hand.

v  Develop an ability to give yourself to what you are doing.  You will sense an awareness enabling you to enjoy the current activity.

v  One key to simplicity is realizing that quality is far superior to quantity.

My thoughts on her entry for Number 1:

v  Even if I am planning for an event or something in the future.  I can enjoy the task by focusing on the steps, activities of planning and not be distracted by the emotions or “what ifs” or the sin of trying to impress others instead of bringing God glory by doing His will.

v  Simple daily tasks can be enjoyed by being grateful and experiencing the “senses” of performance.  Example doing dishes:

Ø  Warm water

Ø  Scent of dish soap

Ø  Gratitude for ability

I make it all sound so simple and romantic but I know it is hard work to refrain from distraction.  Get in a mode of “in the moment”.  It is not impossible though.  If we can accomplish it, we will be less busy and have, yes, more joy!

I say “Keep it simple by doing what the Lord God has for me to do each day.  He doesn’t overwhelm.  Be obedient.  Refrain from distraction.”  We can do this per Hebrews 12:1-2.  Stay focused on Jesus.

Hebrews 12:1-2
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Jesus, the Example

12 Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,(2) fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Happy New “Me” Year continues.

You are Loved, acf

No comments: