Sunday, June 16, 2013

Not Perfect - Just Present

I just spent several minutes "liking" all the posts for friends and family who honored their dads here on FB.  I have such mixed emotions about Father's Day but today I choose to rise above them and accentuate the positive!

My Dad:  If you know me personally, then you know the story about life with and without my dad.  Today I celebrate a dad who took our family on Sunday drives to see airplanes land, swim in a lake, and find the end of a rainbow.  I celebrate a dad that set up a volleyball net in the yard and played the game with me and my friends.  I celebrate a dad who called me his "Pride and Joy". 






My Husband:  Kevin was my first introduction to a real dad...the kind of dad that stuck it out and in fact wanted to be there.  Kevin delivered Kevin Cory Friend our first son and genuinely "saw God that day".  He has continued to be a dedicated, involved dad to his sons.  He strives to be a Godly father who loves unconditionally.  I take great pleasure in celebrating the man he is to his sons.

My Son Timothy John Friend:  Tim shared his son's ultrasound pictures with me all the while smiling and expressing awe in the little baby who was forming in Amber.  When his son was born, he seemed a bit distant though he was there and by Amber's side.  He realized the responsibility that was assigned to him by God.  Tim was an anxious dad to his infant son.  However, now that John Thomas is nearing 2 he seems more comfortable.  Tim still needs to embrace fatherhood emotionally.  He needs to realize that God doesn't expect perfection but presence...Thomas doesn't need perfection but his dad's presence.  I heard a preacher preach this very thing last week.  He charged the men in his congregation to get involved.  To be present with their kids and "bring what they have".  Tim loves his son.  Tim knows his responsibility.  He just needs to know that his son loves him and that he is important as Thomas' dad.  I celebrate Tim as a dad today.  God gave Thomas life and through Tim he created a beautiful little boy who someday will affect the world or someone in it...achieving God's purpose.

My Son Kevin Cory Friend:  Cory is not a dad.  Cory however has been a positive male role model for some special boys in his life.  He has been there for Jordan since he was an infant - teaching him ball and how to do cool boy stuff.  He loves his nephew Thomas and makes time to "go outside" as often requested by Thomas.  He will be a strong, dependable dad should God purpose it for Cory.  I celebrate Cory for being there for Jordan and Thomas when the "stepping up" was called for.


I love you all - Dad, Kevin, Tim and Cory.  I am proud, yes, proud to call you my "menfolk" and hold you in high esteem, imperfections are pale, and I honor you for who you are.  You are Loved, acf

1 comment:

Mashal said...

excellent post ---- caring ,loving and friendly