Wednesday, May 8, 2013

She Affected My Life


Yesterday I attended a funeral of a true servant of God. To witness her burial was difficult.  I sat in the parking lot while they lowered her casket.  I didn’t want to say good bye to her spirit nor her body. 

In trying to be polite and strong, many people say pat answers like "she is in a better place."  I understand death and its spiritual state.  However, I just wanted to shout, "People realize this earth lost a Godly woman. We are at a loss and we aren't just going to miss her but it is going to hurt and be painful."   

There are too few people in this world who are as selfless and sacrificing like she was.  I understand that all we need is Jesus in this life but I live in a sea of ugly people in this world.  I am one of them.  I need people like this woman to point me back to Christ with her life on those days when I feel selfish, discouraged and hateful of others.  All I have is memories now and they are old memories.  Thankfully they are timeless.  

She was a quiet, humble, and thoughtful woman of integrity.  She witnessed of Christ to others with few words.  She was a giver, do-er, and encourager.  She affected my life with her love walk.  She didn't judge or give a righteous opinions, though she didn't deny what was sinful.   

My last memory of her is of her giving nature and encouraging words.  I hadn't spent time with Evelyn in over a year at that time.  She appeared at my office one morning.  She had a huge gift bag.  It was filled with diapers and wipes.  She brought them for my grandson.  I know now she not only wanted to acknowledge my grandson’s birth but was sent on a mission by God.  I met her in the reception area; she apologized first for being late with the gift (What? She had no reason to apologize.).  Then she proceeded to tell me that all children are given by God.  He loves children.  She told me the words I needed at the time.  I had so much love and joy for my grandson.  However, I know my joy was criticized because my son and his girlfriend are not married.  Many Christians had their opinion about their “sin”.  My dear friend made a trip that day especially to deliver the gift of love and encouragement.   

Many people shared at the funeral how she affected their lives.  How she was dedicated to her work in the church nursery, counseling young couples, working at the community food pantry, taking care of her family and even her hair dresser of 30 years spoke how she affected his life, which knowing who he is now – I realize why her hair always looked great.   

I am sharing of this woman not to brag on her but to brag on God for creating this woman who truly surrendered her heart and life to him.  Friends, she wasn’t a one of a kind woman (This may hurt some readers).  She was just like some of us…a follower of Christ.  She walked in His love and gave out what she knew.  We all can be an “Evelyn”.   We just need to be like Him. 

I spend too much time worrying about my family, my finances, my health, my church, my job, my time, my resources, and my “breath”.  When the very One who gives life daily is asking me to trust Him with my life and GET OFF my high horse and just DO for Him and reach out beyond my small circle of life and give others Jesus WITHOUT a word.  Live like Him – love like Him, walk like Him, and sacrifice like Him. 

I continue to believe that a death of someone should never go to waste.  It is not a time to celebrate the life for me, because I should have celebrated them while they were alive.  I attend funerals of loved ones and purposely seek to walk away with something from their life that adds value to mine. 
 
It is my prayer to stop looking for a method, a renewal-rededication experience, or some other grand epiphany to leave a legacy like my dear friend.  I pray for true sensitivity of the spirit to walk in the way of the Lord God…simply, humbly, and genuinely…DAILY.  Thank you, Evelyn, for affecting my life.  Thank you, Jesus, for giving me the gift of her friendship.

 You are Loved, acf

 

 

 

No comments: