Monday, May 6, 2013

Pop Ups!

I have been reflecting on friendship since last night.  I have 3 specific friendships that I pondered - the value of them is priceless yet they are 3 very different people and I relate with them very
differently.

Friend 1:  She is actually my mom's best friend.  I have known her since I was a little girl.  As an adult, we are now friends.  We were able to reconnect during my recent visits to California. She is a prayer warrior and very sensitive to the Holy Spirit prompting her to pray for specific people and their needs.  I can call, write and ask her for prayer even though I next to never see her.

Friend 2:  She is a friend I met through church many years ago.  We were neighbors for many years.  We shared many personal details of our life and shared hurts and concerns with each other.  We were confidants.  We both moved away from each other and living life was challenging for both of us.  Yet, we share contact through what appears to be impersonal - Facebook.  However, we both know that we can and will always pick up where we left off and never hold a grudge.  She is a faithful friend. I feel her love from far away.  She is genuine and we have too much history to ever disconnect. 

Friend 3:  She is close by. She is a Jesus girl.  She shares life with me.  She is someone to be admired with her giving, thoughtful heart.  She is low maintenance. She forgives my errors of humanity.  She is a "Bestie".

I value all my friends but God put these on my heart yesterday and this morning.  I knew I would be seeing and contacting them soon, but wasn't sure why they kept popping up in my mind, other than the obvious, friend 1 - I need to request prayer, friend 2 - lost a loved one, and friend 3 - recent text communications.

Then it hit me...it's not about why they are valuable but how they became valuable. They did for me what I need to give back to them and to others...Encouraging words.

Proverbs 12:25 English Standard Version (ESV)
25 Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down,
    but a good word makes him glad.

These specific friends need me to encourage them.  I need to pray and ask God for the right words. 
I need to be obedient and reach out.  It is my time to "give". 

Who do you need to reach out to today?  Who has God put on your heart today? 

Give the gift of a good word. 

You are Loved, acf


No comments: