Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Messing with My Routine


“And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.”
- Colossians 3:17

I used Google to look up a verse re: gratitude and the above verse is the one I read first. I thought to myself this verse states to “…do ALL (my caps) in the name of the Lord Jesus...” I consider myself a thankful person.  In reality, I don’t honestly think of honoring Jesus in ALL that I do because some things are just routine and habitual.  I brush my teeth, wash dishes, etc. without thinking that I should be doing these things in Jesus’ name.  Maybe if I did then I would be aware that I have running, hot water in my home.  I have resources to buy soap to wash them and a decent kitchen to do them in.  Most importantly I have loved ones in my life in which to do them for and because of them being in my life.  Therefore, I have many things to thank Him for. It is only a state of mind that prevents my doing ALL and giving thanks for all things.

However, as taught and taken to heart, I know one must read the entire passage in its context, being careful to understand its whole meaning and application.

Here are parts of the verses in the passage which can guide me live for God day by day:

 Verse 12 “…put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience…”
                *When I get dressed each morning, I should be conscious of “putting” on a heart that imitates Christ.

Verse 13 “bearing with one another, and forgiving each other…”
                *I am forgiven daily by Jesus when I repent and therefore I must be willing to forgive others…especially in the little “pet peeves” that I take personally and can cause frustration. I need to look for opportunities to help others…bearing – supporting, and lifting them and their needs even if I think it is trivial or dramatic.

 Verse 14 “…put on love…”*
                *I need to “put” on love each morning.  I would like to think that I just wake up with a loving heart, but I know I sometimes have to rid myself of bad moods, criticisms and ill attitudes. Putting on love is like putting on eye glasses where I can see people through eyes of a loving God. Paul in this passage would consider putting on love as an outer garment which keeps all his virtuous instructions together and covered in God’s love. 

Verse 15 “…Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts…be thankful”
                *Rule is used in terms of athletics here.  I must allow God to referee and “rule” my heart so I can work and live my daily life with others despite differences.  I must make decisions to keep the peace.
              * I must be thankful.  I should count it a privilege to have Christ in my heart and receive the blessings of obedience.

Verse 16 “Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you…teaching and admonishing one another… singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
                *I need daily time in God’s word.  Allow it to live in my heart so when occasion calls to teach, counsel and/or caution a friend, family member, or whomever God appoints, I can speak in wisdom and not personal “feeling”.  Singing in thankfulness - daily worship and praise will keep me close to God.

It must be noted that Verse 12 reads that these instructions are for “those who have been chosen of God”. 

 I dissected these verses to make them applicable to my daily routine which I find somewhat “funny” because it started with my finding one random verse on thankfulness.  I am now overwhelmed in a sense that my daily morning routine should include the “putting on” of the above virtues.  Will I do it? Yes.  Daily?  Most likely not.  My prayers are neither written nor the same each morning but I will ask that the Holy Spirit will rule my heart toward peace and love.
 
The charge to do ALL things in Jesus name may seem impossible but one thing is for sure.  We represent Him in all things we do, say and wherever we go. 

You are Loved, acf

 

 

 

 

No comments: