Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Going Once! Going Twice! Sold!...Cheap!

Years gone by I was the “purse woman”.  I had many purses in all shapes and colors.  Several designer brands and non-name brands. I would choose outfits to go along with the purse I wanted to carry that day.  I had an epiphany one day as I was considering donations to a church auction.  I had many purses that I loved and spent quite a bit of money on.  It was somewhat embarrassing that the ratio of money spent on purses was so askew in comparison to my giving charitably or to church missions.

I know that the love of purses and spending money on them is not wrong, but then my heart was.  I had not regarded in my heart the opportunities to go outside my regular giving to help the needs of others. I thought nothing of spending money on a purse but never thought of using that extra in the budget to meet a local need.  In fact, I may have donated money but not if I had to sacrifice that cute, round, yellow, quilted, leather purse with a chain strap.

When the auction came, I had donated several designer purses.  I didn’t own
a Louis Vuitton, or other $1000 plus purse, but I had some nice $100+ purses. I was happy to donate.  It was freeing in a tangible way. I had room in my closet, and less clutter to choose from.   In fact, I kept only a couple purses. I kept one decent Tommy Hilfiger which was just an ordinary black leather purse that was perfect for all my needs.  The killer was the day of the auction it rained. The auction was confined to a small area. My purses were auctioned near the end of the day due to many difficulties during the auction process.  Many of the buyers had left.  My most expensive lot of purses sold for $5.  Did you get that? Several leather, quality bags sold for $5!

You see, God, didn’t need my specific money to help the church.  He needed my heart to learn what really is important - my giving and serving in my community and circle of influence.

In the Bible it says,
“Sell your possessions and give to those in need. This will store up treasure for you in heaven! And the purses of heaven never get old or develop holes. Your treasure will be safe; no thief can steal it and no moth can destroy it. Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.” (Luke 12:33-34New Living Translation (NLT)

Well, I learned much that day, and it felt good for a while.  Remember the Tommy Hilfiger I kept back. The one purse that was so perfect. In fact, my friend and I both bought one exactly alike.  Yes, at least I still had my favorite, most convenient purse of all time.  “I could never give up my Tommy”.  (Mom in my head, “Never say never.”) Well, it wasn’t long after the auction when I was talking with my “twin purse” friend that she said, “Anna, we idolize our purses.  We love our Tommy too much.”  She was right. It was a “possession” not a functional pretty accessory.  We both gave away our purses that week.  Good news is we decided we would buy one quality purse a season, and in actuality she carried the same purse for over a year. I had 2 that year. In 2015, I bought one for Christmas.  A friend gave me a spring purse…a cute Tommy! I wanted to buy one this summer but I could find one I liked. I carried a couple of used purses I bought at yard sales. I don’t buy multiples anymore because for me they are a distraction and somewhat an obsession.

God will convict and remove from us “things”, “habits”, and “obsessions” that deter us from His purposes, or steal our resources for His plans in our giving.  He doesn’t force us but He is gentle when He stirs our hearts.  I would want nothing less.

My Purse Today
Today I will start carrying last Christmas’ purse. I love my black, sensible, and practical Kate Spade.  For now I keep it.  Christmas is coming again.  I will buy another purse then or later.  It is not the buying of the purse that will fulfill me.  It is about the heart and being in God’s will.

My desire is to meet needs and be a light of encouragement to those I meet and have opportunity to touch in some way.

You are Loved, acf

No comments: