Thursday, March 6, 2014

How about some fries with that?

Yesterday was the beginning of Lent.  Kevin and I have decided to practice a plant based diet for the period of Lent together.  I am surprised at the optimistic attitude my husband is sharing.  I know this is just the beginning but before when I was eating plant based, he supported my efforts but would not partake in the diet. 

Kevin came crawling home yesterday about 6pm.  He was exhausted from little sleep the night before and a long stressful day at work.  His job has several projects to complete this year with very strict deadlines.  The tasks are in the IT infrastructure of a major company, which he is the subject matter expert re: these tasks.  He leads in these projects under company project managers who each have their own set of necessary demands.  Stress probably is an understatement.  Kevin is aware that he needs a healthy diet and exercise daily to offset the effects on his health.  I see this awareness as his motivation to give our new eating plan an honest effort. 

I made a crock pot of homemade chili beans without meat for supper last night.  I used fresh vegetables and 2 types of beans.  I used garlic, black pepper, cumin and New Mexico chili powder.  I did use salt but sparingly.  In fact, I wanted to add salt to my serving but didn't.  When Kevin came home, Tim and I were watching a movie.  Kevin joined us on the sofa with a bowl of chili.  Kevin added some hot sauce to the 2 servings he had.  I would say that the recipe needed more spiciness in the hot pepper department for Kevin.  I wanted to add soy crumbles to the bell pepper and onion sauté (used 1 tbsp. chili infused olive oil) but Kevin did not want me too.  Next time I will because I believe he will like it better.

It was a real test for Kevin last night.  I will proudly say he passed.  My 22 year old son does not want to participate in our diet.  He watched Forks over Knives with us but being of a rebel nature, he wants to add some challenge to our journey...gotta love that guy.   Tim baked chicken and French fries (frozen, processed) in the oven last night. He served himself up a chicken sandwich and fries. He offered his dad a sandwich and fries.  Kevin could smell the fries which is a weakness but decidedly declined the offer.  I have to say my son is being a real brat!  He never offers us anything...not even a glass of water if we were to be thrown on the floor parched.  He will if we ask but not voluntarily.  I love this son of mine but he could make this a real test of our commitment.  I think I will appeal to his compassion of animals.  It may be time to share some tidbits of info and pictures to compel him to plant based food.  I will refrain from doing so until after Lent however.  My efforts will be going to studying the diet, planning meals and preparing them. 

Here's a cute comic strip I found today.
 
 
 
You are Loved, acf
 
 
 

No comments: